Donn Posner, PHD, CBSM
Clinical Associate Professor of Psychiatry & Human Behavior
Psychiatry & Human Behavior
Dr. Posner is a consultant on two grants. One is assessing the effect of CBT-I on insomnia in a cohort of veterans with PTSD. The other will be designing a protocol to increase sleep time in a group of insufficient sleeprs and evaluating whether sleep extension improves weight loss.
BiographyDr. Posner is a Clinical Associate Professor of Psychiatry and Human Behavior at the Brown Medical School. He is the Director of Clinical Behavioral Medicine for Lifespan Hospitals as well as the Director of the Behavioral Sleep Medicine Program for the Sleep Disorders Center of Lifespan Hospitals. Dr. Posner has been actively engaged in the treatment of sleep-disordered patients for the past twenty-three years. For nineteen of those years he has served as the lead supervisor and mentor for a sleep medicine rotation in the behavioral medicine track of the Brown clinical psychology internship. He is a member of the American Academy of Sleep Medicine and is one of the first certified behavioral sleep medicine specialists recognized by that group.
Grants and AwardsTeaching Recognition Award for Clinical Faculty 2002
Dean's Excellence in Teaching Award 2010
AffiliationsAmerican Academy of Sleep Medicine (AASM)
Association of Cognitive and Behavioral Therapies (ABCT)
American Psychological Association (APA)
Society of Behavioral Medicine (SBM)
Funded Research1U01CA150387-01 Wing(PI) 9/30/09-9/29/14
Increasing Sleep Duration: A Novel Approach to Weight.
R34 MH077667-01A2 Neylan (PI) 03/01/08 - 02/28/11
Cognitive Behavioral Treatment of Insomnia in Posttraumatic Stress Disorder. Role: Consultant
R21 AA014408 Arnedt (PI) 9/1/03-8/31/06
CBT for Insomnia in Patients with Alcohol Dependence.
- Posner DA, & Gehrman PR. Sleep Hygiene. In M.L. Perlis, M.S. Aloia, & B.R. Kuhn (Eds.), Behavioral Treatments for Sleep Disorders: A comprehensive primer of behavioral sleep medicine interventions, Elsevier, Philadelphia PA, 2011 (2011)
- Perlis M & Posner DA. Should Insomnia be a primary focus for treatment? The Behavior Therapist, 33(7) 128-132, 2010 (2010)
- Dalrymple KL, Fiorentino L, Politi M, & Posner D. Incorporating Principles from Acceptance and Commitment Therapy into Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy for Insomnia: A Case Example. Journal of Contemporary Psychotherapy, 2010. (2010)
- Arnedt JT, Conroy DA, Posner DA, & Aloia MS. Evaluation of the insomnia patient. Sleep Medicine Clinics, 1(3):319-332, 2006. (2006)
- Perlis ML, Jungquist CR, Smith MT, & Posner DA. Cognitive Behavioral Treatment of Insomnia: A Session-by-Session Guide, Springer/Verlag, New York, 2005 (2005)
- Arnedt, JT, Martin, JL, Posner, DA. Behavioral treatment for chronic insomnia. Rhode Island Medical Journal, 85(3): 90-94, 2002. (2002)
- Arnedt, JT, Martin, JL, Posner, DA. Behavioral treatment for chronic insomnia. Rhode Island ()