Ana Baylin, MD, DrPH
Adjunct Assistant Professor of Epidemiology
Bio Med Center for Population Health & Clinic Epidemiology
Work: +1 401-863-9649
Dr. Baylin is primarily interested in the emerging burden of chronic disease in developing countries, in particular, cardiovascular disease, obesity, and diabetes, which have started to exceed those in developed countries. Her current research focuses on the interaction between genes and diet on the risk of myocardial infarction. By studying the effect of nutrition and genes on cardiovascular disease, she is trying to identify strategies for the prevention of chronic disease that may be successful in developing countries.
BiographyDr Baylin is a physician specialized in Preventive Medicine. She received her doctoral training in Nutritional Epidemiology at the Harvard School of Public Health and did post-doctoral research there as well. Her primary research has focused on the effect of dietary fatty acids on the risk of myocardial infarction. She is currently conducting research on gene-diet interactions.
Research DescriptionDr. Baylin's current research interests involve two areas:
Fatty acids and gene-diet interactions. Following a gene-candidate approach, she is primarily interested in how genetic variation can modulate the effect of dietary intake on metabolic parameters that increase the risk of coronary heart disease. One specific area of research that she is currently developing is the study of interactions between fatty acids from sources that may be more or less widely available in developing countries (particularly n-3 and n-6 fatty acids), and genes involved in metabolic pathways that are susceptible to be modified by dietary interventions.
Dietary methods/biomarkers of intake. Dr. Baylin has a strong interest in the study of the validity of dietary assessment methods. The validation of dietary intake assessment in developing countries constitutes an urgent need and a very interesting challenge given the wide variability in food intake and availability of foodstuffs, and the rapid increases in the prevalence of chronic disease.
Grants and AwardsRothman Epidemiology Prize. 2007
Center for Latin American Studies at Brown University travel grant 2007
Salomon Award. Brown University 2007
Finalist for the 2006 Elizabeth Barrett-Connor Research Award for Young Investigators (American Heart Association)
American Heart Association Fellowship Award (July 2004-June 2006).
Finalist for the American Heart Association Scientific Sessions 2004 Poster Competition in Population Science (2004).
American Society for Nutritional Sciences Travel Award (2000).
Scholarships awarded by the Real Colegio Complutense and Fondo de Investigacion Sanitaria for studying a Master program at Harvard School of Public Health (1998-1999).
Scholarship awarded by the International Federation of Students of Medicine Associations for Medical Studies in Pisa (Italy, 1992).
AffiliationsAmerican Heart Association
American Society for Nutrition
Spanish Society of Preventive Medicine, Public Health and Hygiene
Spanish Society of International and Tropical Health
NIH, Baylin A, PI
Genetic modification of PUFA biosynthesis and CHD
In this study we will assess individual variability in the effect of dietary PUFA on myocardial infarction, by examining genes involved in their biosynthetic pathway. These genes include elongases and desaturases enzymes and their regulatory transcription factors, sterol regulatory element-binding protein-1c and peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-alpha.
Baylin A, PI
Genetic modification of triggers of acute myocardial infarction
Our overall objective is to identify genetic modifiers of triggers of acute myocardial infarction by examining genes involved in the beta-adrenergic pathway and the caffeine metabolism pathway.
AHA fellowship 0425810T
AHA, Baylin A, PI
Effect of dietary carbohydrates and hepatic lipase on HDL, apoprotein content, and coronary heart disease
In this study we will examine the effect of the interaction between hepatic lipase polymorphisms and carbohydrate intake on myocardial infarction. We will also examine if this association is modified by other environmental factors known to affect HDL cholesterol concentrations. Finally, we will examine whether the risk of myocardial infarction is determined by genetic and dietary effects on plasma lipoprotein types and not just their concentration.
- Baylin A, Mora-Plazas M, Cobos-de Rangel O, Lopez-Arana S, Villamor E. Predictors of usage and fatty acid composition of cooking fats in Bogota, Colombia. Public Health Nutrition (in press) (IN PRESS)
- Arsenault JE, Mora-Plazas M , Forero Y, Lopez-Arana S, Baylin A, Villamor E. Hemoglobin is inversely associated with erythrocyte folate concentrations in Colombian school-age children, especially among children with low vitamin B12 status. Eur J Clin Nut (in press) (IN PRESS)
- DiBello JR, Baylin A, Viali S, Tuitele J, Bausserman L, McGarvey ST. Adiponectin and type 2 diabetes in Samoan adults. Am J Hum Biol (in press) (IN PRESS)
- McDonald CM, Baylin A, Arsenault JE, Mora-Plazas M, Villamor E. Overweight Is More Prevalent Than Stunting and Is Associated with Socioeconomic Status, Maternal Obesity, and a Snacking Dietary Pattern in School Children from Bogota, Colombia. J Nut (in press) (IN PRESS)
- Hong T, DiBello J, Ruiz-Narvaez E, Kraft P, Campos H, Baylin A. Does genetic variation in the Δ6-desaturase promoter modify the association between alpha-linolenic acid and the prevalence of metabolic syndrome?. Am J Clin Nut (in press) (IN PRESS)
- Custodio E, Descalzo MA, Roche J, Molina L, Sanchez I, Bernis C, Villamor E, Baylin A. Nutritional status and its determinants in Equatorial Guinean preschool children: results from a nationally representative survey. Food and Nutrition Bulletin. 2008; 29(1):49-58 (2008)
- Villamor E, Mora-Plazas M, Forero Y, Lopez-Arana S, Baylin A. Vitamin B12 status is associated with socioeconomic level and adherence to an animal food dietary pattern in Colombian school children. J Nutr. 2008 Jul;138:1391-8. (2008)
- Campos H, Baylin A, Willett WC. Alpha-Linolenic acid and nonfatal acute myocardial infarction in Costa Rica. Circulation. 2008 118(4):339-45 (2008)
- Allayee H, Baylin A, Hartiala J, Wijesuriya H, Mehrabian M, Lusis AJ, Campos H. Nutri-Genetic Association of the 5-Lipoxygenase Gene with Myocardial Infarction. Am J Clin Nut 2008;88(4):934-40. (2008)
- DiBello J, Kraft P, McGarvey S, Goldberg R, Campos H, Baylin A. Is reduced rank regression more effective than other methods in deriving dietary patterns related to disease risk? Am J Epidemiol 168(12):1433-43 (2008)
- Colon-Ramos U, Kabagambe EK , Baylin A, Ascherio A, Campos H, Peterson K. Socioeconomic status and health awareness are associated with choice of cooking oil in Costa Rica. Public Health Nutr. 2007; 10:1214-22 (2007)
- Baylin A, Fernandez X, Donovan-Palmer A, Siles X, Campos H. Fatty acid composition of Costa Rican foods including trans fatty acid content. Journal of food composition and analysis 2007;20:182-92 (2007)
- Baylin A, Hernandez-Diaz S, Siles X, Kabagambe EK, Campos H. Triggers of nonfatal myocardial infarction in Costa Rica: heavy physical exertion, sexual activity, and infection. Annals of Epidemiology. 2007;17(2):112-118 (2007)
- Kabagambe EK, Baylin A, Campos H. Nonfatal acute myocardial infarction in Costa Rica: Modifiable risk factors, population attributable risks and adherence to dietary guidelines. Circulation 2007; 115(9):1075-81 (2007)
- Baylin A, Ruiz-Narvaez E, Kraft P, Campos H. Alpha-linolenic acid, Δ6 desaturase gene polymorphism, and risk of nonfatal myocardial infarction. Am J Clin Nut 2007;65(2):554-60 (2007)
- Campos H and Baylin A. Coffee Consumption and Risk of Type 2 Diabetes and Heart Disease Nutrition Reviews. 2007;65(4):173-9 (2007)
- Williams E, Baylin A, Campos H. Adipose Tissue Arachidonic Acid and the Metabolic Syndrome in Costa Rican Adults. Clinical nutrition 2007 26(4):474-82 (2007)
- Villamor E, Koulinska IN, Furtado J, Baylin A, Aboud S, Manji K, Campos H, Fawzi WW. Long-chain n 6 polyunsaturated fatty acids in breast milk decrease the risk of HIV transmission through breastfeeding. Am J Clin Nutr. 2007;86(3):682-9. (2007)
- Isanaka S , Mora-Plazas M, Lopez-Arana S, Baylin A, Villamor. E. Food insecurity is highly prevalent and predicts underweight but not overweight in adults and school children from Bogotá, Colombia. J. Nutr. 137: 27472755, 2007. (2007)
- Martínez-Ortiz JA, Fung TT, Baylin A, Hu FB, Campos H. Dietary patterns and risk of nonfatal acute myocardial infarction in Costa Rican adults. Eur J Clin Nut, 2006;60(6):770-7 (2006)
- Baylin A, Hernandez-Diaz S, Kabagambe EK, Siles X, Campos H. Transient exposure to coffee as a trigger of a first nonfatal myocardial infarction. Epidemiology. 2006;17(5):506-511. (2006)
- Colon-Ramos U, Baylin A, Campos H. The relationship between trans fatty acid levels and increased risk of myocardial infarction does not hold at lower levels of trans fatty acids in the Costa Rican food supply. J Nut. 2006;136:2887-2892 (2006)
- Baylin A and Campos H. The use of fatty acid biomarkers to reflect dietary intake. Curr Opin Lipidol 2006; 17(1):22-7. (2006)
- Kabagambe EK, Baylin A, Irwig MS, Furtado J, Siles X, Kim MK, Campos H. Costa Rican adolescents have a deleterious nutritional profile as compared to adults in terms of lower dietary and plasma concentrations of antioxidant micronutrients. J Am Coll Nut. 2005 Apr; 24(2):122-8. (2005)
- Kabagambe EK, Furtado J, Baylin A, Campos H. Dietary and adipose tissue antioxidants and risk of nonfatal acute myocardial infarction in Costa Rica. J Nut 2005 Jul; 135(7):1763-9. (2005)
- Kabagambe EK, Baylin A, Ruiz-Narvarez E, Siles X, Campos H. Decreased consumption of beans is positively associated with urbanization and nonfatal acute myocardial infarction. J Nut. 2005 Jul; 135(7):1770-5. (2005)
- Baylin A, Kim MK, Donovan-Palmer A, Siles X, Dougherty L, Tocco P, and Campos H. Whole blood can be a suitable readily available biomarker of essential fatty acid intake in epidemiologic studies: comparison with adipose tissue and plasma. Am J Epidemiol 2005; 162(4): 373-381 (2005)
- Kabagambe EK, Baylin A, Ascherio A, Campos H. Type of oil used for cooking is associated with nonfatal acute myocardial infarction in Costa Rica. J. Nutr. 2005; 135: 2674-2679 (2005)
- Kabagambe EK, Baylin A, Ruiz-Narvarez E, Rimm EB, Campos H. Alcohol intake, drinking patterns and risk of nonfatal acute myocardial infarction. Am J Clin Nutr 2005; 82(6):1336-45. (2005)
- Baylin A, Villamor E, Rifai N, Msamanga G, Fawzi WW. Effect of vitamin supplementation to HIV-infected pregnant women on the micronutrient status of their infants. Eur J Clin Nutr 2005; 59(8): 960-968 (2005)
- Villamor E, Saathoff E, Bosch RJ, Hertzmark H, Baylin A, Manji K, Msamanga GI, Hunter DJ, Fawzi WW. Vitamin supplementation to HIV-infected women improves post-natal child growth. Am J Clin Nut. 2005 Apr;81(4):880-888. (2005)
- Villamor E, Dreyfuss ML, Baylin A, Msamanga G, Fawzi WW. Weight Loss During Pregnancy Is Associated with Adverse Pregnancy Outcomes among HIV-1 Infected Women. J Nutr. 2004 Jun;134(6):1424-1431. (2004)
- Westheimer EF, Urassa W, Msamanga G, Baylin A, Wei R, Aboud S, Kaaya S, Fawzi WW. Acceptance of HIV Testing Among Pregnant Women in Dar-es-Salaam, Tanzania. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2004 Sep 1;37(1):1197-1205. (2004)
- Baylin A, Campos H. Arachidonic acid in adipose tissue is associated with nonfatal acute myocardial infarction in the Central Valley of Costa Rica. J Nutr. 2004 Nov;134(11):3095-9. (2004)
- Wei R, Msamanga GI, Spiegelman D, Hertzmark E, Baylin A, Manji K, Fawzi WW. Association Between Low Birth Weight and Infant Mortality in Children Born to Human Immunodeficiency Virus 1-Infected Mothers in Tanzania. Pediatr Infect Dis J. 2004 Jun;23(6):530-535. (2004)
- Baylin A., Kabagambe E.K., Ascherio A., Spiegelman D., and Campos H. High 18:2 trans-fatty acids in adipose tissue are associated with increased risk of nonfatal acute myocardial infarction in Costa Rican adults. J Nut 2003;133(4):1186-91. (2003)
- Kabagambe EK, Baylin A, Ascherio A and Campos H. Individual saturated fatty acids and nonfatal myocardial infarction in Costa Rica. Eur J Clin Nutr. 2003 57(11):1447-57 (2003)
- Baylin A., Kabagambe E.K., Ascherio A., Spiegelman D., and Campos H. Adipose tissue alpha-linolenic acid and nonfatal acute myocardial infarction in Costa Rica. Circulation 2003;107(12):1586-91. (2003)
- El-Sohemy A, Baylin A, Kabagambe E, Ascherio A, Spiegelman D, Campos H. Individual carotenoid concentrations in adipose tissue and plasma as biomarkers of dietary intake. Am J Clin Nut 2002; 76:172-76. (2002)
- Irwig MS, El-Sohemy A, Baylin A, Rifai N, Campos H. Frequent intake of tropical fruits that are rich in beta-cryptoxanthin is associated with higher plasma beta-cryptoxanthin concentrations in Costa Rican adolescents. J Nutr 2002;132(10):3161-7 (2002)
- Kabagambe E.K, Baylin A., Siles X., and Campos H. Comparison of dietary intake of micro and macronutrients in rural, suburban and urban populations in Costa Rica. Public Health Nutrition 2002 Dec;5(6A):835-42. (2002)
- Baylin A., Kabagambe E.K., Siles X., and Campos H. Adipose tissue biomarkers of fatty acid intake. Am J Clin Nutr 2002;76:750-757 (2002)
- El-Sohemy A., Baylin A., Spiegelman D., Ascherio A., and Campos H. Dietary and adipose tissue gamma-tocopherol and risk of myocardial infarction. Epidemiology. 2002;13(2):216-23. (2002)
- Kabagambe E.K, Baylin A., Allan D.A., Siles X., Spiegelman D., and Campos H. Application of the Method of Triads to Evaluate the Performance of Food Frequency Questionnaires and Biomarkers as Indicators of Long-term Dietary Intake. Am. J. Epidemiol. 2001 154: 1126-1135 (2001)
- El-Sohemy A., Baylin A., Ascherio A., Kabagambe E.K., Spiegelman D., and Campos H. Population-based study of alpha- and gamma-tocopherol in plasma and adipose tissue as biomarkers of intake in Costa Rican adults. Am J Clin Nutr 2001 74: 356-363 (2001)
- Schopper D, Torres A, Pereira J, Ammon C, Cuende N, Alonso M, Baylin A, Ronchi A, Rougemont A. Setting health priorities in a Swiss Canton: What do different methods tell us? J Epidemiol Community Health 2000;54(5):388-93. (2000)
- Schopper D., Pereira J., Torres A., Cuende N., Alonso M., Baylin A., Ammon C., and Rougemont A.. Estimating the burden of disease in one Swiss canton: what do disability adjusted life years (DALY) tell us? Int. J. Epidemiol. 2000 29: 871-877. (2000)
- Martinez Bernardos R, Baylin-Larios A, Ortiz Jimenez MF. ¿Podemos detectar trastornos mentales en atencion primaria? Utilidad y concordancia de dos instrumentos diagnosticos. Atencion Primaria 1999, 23(5):285-7. (1999)
- Herruzo Cabrera R. Diez Sebastian J. Baylin-Larios A. Nadal D. Pena P. Garcia Caballero J. Septicemias asociadas a la cateterizacion venosa central en un hospital infantil. Estudio multivariante. [Septicemia associated with central venous catheterization in a children's hospital. A multivariate study]. Med Clín (Barc) 1998; 111(18):687-91. (1998)
- Gª de SanJosé S, Baylín-Larios A., Cuende Melero N. Adecuación de los ingresos y días de estancia (AEP) en pacientes ingresados en un servicio de Urología del hospital La Paz. Medicina Preventiva 1997; 3(2): 5-9. (1997)
- Cuende N, Baylín A, García S, Garrido G, Gª Caballero J. Adecuación de los ingresos y días de estancia en pacientes ingresados en el servicio de maxilofacial del Hospital La Paz durante 1994. Jurnal de Medicinå Preventivå 1997; 5(2): 31-42. (1997)