Gregory Wellenius, ScD
Assistant Professor of Epidemiology
Work: +1 401-863-9649
My research focuses on the environmental determinants of cardiovascular disease. I use tools from the fields of epidemiology and toxicology to: 1) evaluate the association between environmental exposures and disease, 2) identify subgroups of the population that may be particularly susceptible, and 3) elucidate the physiologic mechanisms for the observed effects. My recent work has looked at the health effects of ambient air pollution, indoor air pollution, and perfluorinated compounds.
BiographyI am broadly interested in studying environmental determinants of cardiovascular disease. My work has primarily focused on studying the effects of ambient air pollution on the risk of cardiovascular events and its effects on cardiovascular physiology. In the context of these studies, I use tools from the fields of epidemiology and toxicology to: 1) evaluate the association between environmental exposures and disease, 2) identify subgroups of the population that may be particularly susceptible, and 3) elucidate the physiologic mechanisms for the observed effects.
Grants and Awards2003 - Student Travel Award, International Society of Environmental Epidemiology
2004 - Edgar Haber Award in Biological Sciences, Harvard School of Public Health
2007 - Annual Meeting Poster Award, Society for Epidemiologic Research
AffiliationsAmerican Heart Association, Council on Epidemiology and Prevention
International Society for Environmental Epidemiology
Society for Epidemiologic Research
Funded Research2005-2007 NIH (F32-ES001380) Particulate Air Pollution and Acute Ischemic Stroke.
2007-2009 NIH (K99-ES015774) Mechanisms of Air Pollution Health Effects in Subjects with Heart Failure.
2009-2011 NIH (R03-ES017125) Ambient Particles and Ischemic and Hemorrhagic Stroke. (PI: Mittleman).
2009-2013 NIH (R00-ES015774) Mechanisms of Air Pollution Health Effects in Subjects with Heart Failure.
- O'Donnell MJ, Fang J, Mittleman MA, Kapral MK, Wellenius GA. Fine Particulate Air Pollution (PM2.5) and the Risk of Acute Ischemic Stroke: Results from the Registry of the Canadian Stroke Network. Epidemiology. 2011;22(3):422-431. (2011)
- Wellenius GA, Diaz EA, Gupta T, Ruiz PA, Long M, Kang C-M, Coull BA, Godleski JJ. Electrocardiographic and Respiratory Responses to Coal-Fired Power Plant Emissions in a Rat Model of Acute Myocardial Infarction: Results from the Toxicological Evaluation of Realistic Emissions of Source Aerosols Study. Inhal Toxicol. 2011;Suppl 2:84-94. (2011)
- Coull BA, Wellenius GA, Gonzalez-Flecha B, Diaz EA, Koutrakis P, Godleski JJ. The Toxicological Evaluation of Realistic Emissions of Source Aerosols Study: Statistical Methods. Inhal Toxicol. 2011;Suppl 2:31-41. (2011)
- Wang SV, Coull BA, Schwartz J, Mittleman MA, Wellenius GA. Potential for bias in case-crossover studies with shared exposures analyzed using SAS. Am J Epidemiol. 2011;174(1):118-24. (2011)
- Wang S, Linkletter C, Maclure M, Dore D, Mor V, Buka S, Wellenius GA. Future Cases as Present Controls to Adjust for Exposure Trend Bias in Case-only Studies. Epidemiology. 2011;22(4):568-574. (2011)
- Baja ES, Schwartz JD, Wellenius GA, Coull BA, Zanobetti A, Vokonas PS, Suh HH. Traffic-related air pollution and QT interval: modification by diabetes, obesity, and oxidative stress gene polymorphisms in the normative aging study. Environ Health Perspect. 2010;118(6):840-846. (2010)
- Wellenius GA, Gold DR, Mittleman MA. Ambient Particulate Matter and the Risk of Stroke. In: Bhatnagar A, ed. Environmental Cardiology. Cambridge (UK): Royal Society of Chemistry; 2010. (2010)
- U.S. EPA. Integrated Science Assessment for Particulate Matter (Final Report). Washington, DC: U.S. Environmental Protection Agency; 2009. EPA/600/R-08/139F. (2009)
- Stuart-Shor EM, Wellenius GA, DelloIacono DM, Mittleman MA. Gender differences in presenting and prodromal stroke symptoms. Stroke. 2009;40(4):1121-1126. (2009)
- Soverow JE, Wellenius GA, Fisman DN, Mittleman MA. Infectious disease in a warming world: how weather influenced West Nile virus in the United States (2001-2005). Environ Health Perspect. 2009;117(7):1049-1052. (2009)
- Mukamal KJ, Wellenius GA, Suh HH, Mittleman MA. Weather and air pollution as triggers of severe headaches. Neurology. 2009;72(10):922-927. (2009)
- Mostofsky E, Wellenius GA, Noheria A, Levitan EB, Burger MR, Schlaug G, Mittleman MA. Renal Function Predicts Survival in Patients with Acute Ischemic Stroke. Cerebrovasc Dis. 2009;28(1):88-94. (2009)
- Lokken RP, Wellenius GA, Coull BA, Burger MR, Schlaug G, Suh HH, Mittleman MA. Air pollution and risk of stroke: underestimation of effect due to misclassification of time of event onset. Epidemiology. 2009;20(1):137-142. (2009)
- Fakhri AA, Ilic LM, Wellenius GA, Urch B, Silverman F, Gold DR, Mittleman MA. Autonomic Effects of Controlled Fine Particulate Exposure in Young Healthy Adults: Effect Modification by Ozone. Environ. Health Perspect. 2009. (2009)
- Brook RD, Urch B, Dvonch JT, Bard RL, Speck M, Keeler G, Morishita M, Marsik FJ, Kamal AS, Kaciroti N, Harkema J, Corey P, Silverman F, Gold DR, Wellenius G, Mittleman MA, Rajagopalan S, Brook JR. Insights into the mechanisms and mediators of the effects of air pollution exposure on blood pressure and vascular function in healthy humans. Hypertension. 2009;54(3):659-667. (2009)
- Wellenius GA, Mukamal KJ, Kulshreshtha A, Asonganyi S, Mittleman MA. Depressive symptoms and the risk of atherosclerotic progression among patients with coronary artery bypass grafts. Circulation. 2008;117(18):2313-2319. (2008)
- Wellenius GA, Mittleman MA. Disparities in myocardial infarction case fatality rates among the elderly: the 20-year Medicare experience. Am Heart J. 2008;156(3):483-490. (2008)
- Wellenius GA, Yeh GY, Coull BA, Suh HH, Phillips RS, Mittleman MA. Effects of ambient air pollution on functional status in patients with chronic congestive heart failure: a repeated-measures study. Environ Health. 2007;6:26. (2007)
- Wellenius GA, Mukamal KJ, Winkelmayer WC, Mittleman MA. Renal dysfunction increases the risk of saphenous vein graft occlusion: results from the Post-CABG trial. Atherosclerosis. 2007;193(2):414-420. (2007)
- Wellenius GA, Schwartz J, Mittleman MA. Particulate air pollution and hospital admissions for congestive heart failure in seven United States cities. Am J Cardiol. 2006;97(3):404-408. (2006)
- Wellenius GA, Schwartz J, Mittleman MA. Air pollution and hospital admissions for ischemic and hemorrhagic stroke among medicare beneficiaries. Stroke. 2005;36(12):2549-2553. (2005)