Stephanie Jones, PhD
Assistant Professor of Neuroscience (Research)
Bio Med Neuroscience
Work: +1 401-863-1000
BiographyMy research focus is in using dynamical systems theory mathematics, computational neuroscience, and human brain imaging to study neural dynamics in health and disease. Currently, I develop biophysically principled computational neural models to bridge the critical gap between human brain imaging signals (MEG/EEG) and their underlying cellular and network level generators. Working closely with animal electrophysiologist and clinicians, I am applying these techniques to study healthy brain functions including attention, development and aging, and neural pathologies such as Encephalopathy of Prematurity and Parkinson's Disease. I have affiliate appointments in the Fetal-Neonatal Neuroimaging and Developmental Science Center at Children's Hospital Boston and the Martinos Center for Biomedical Imaging at Mass. General Hospital.
Grants and Awards1992 Pi Mu Epsilon, Mathematics Honor Fraternity, Boston College
1993 Alfred A. Bennet Mathematics Teaching Award, Boston College
1993 Phi Beta Kappa, National Honor Society, Boston College
1993-1995 Dean's Fellowship, Boston College
2008-2010 Claflin Distinguished Scholar Award, Harvard Med. School
2010-2011 MGH ECOR Internal Funding Award, Mass. General Hospital
2011-2012 Scholars in Medicine Dr Lynne Reid /Shore Fellowship Award, Harvard Med. School
2012-2013 Harvard Catalyst Advanced Imaging Award, Harvard Translational. Sci. Center, 2012
2012-2013 Brown Univ. New Frontiers Fund Award, Norman Prince Neuroscience Institute
2013-2014 Brown Univ. New Frontiers Fund Award, Norman Prince Neuroscience Institute
AffiliationsAssociate Scientist, Fetal-Neonatal Neuroimaging and Developmental Science Center
Children's Hospital Boston
Assistant in Neuroscience, Martinos Center for Biomedical Imaging
Mass. General Hospital
Lecturer, Harvard Medical School
Funded ResearchCurrent Funding
2011-2014 NSF CRCNS 1131850
"Contributions of Thalamus and Basal Ganglia to Neocortical Beta Oscillations"
Role: PI (Co-PI Dr. Christopher Moore)
2012-2013 BIBS/NPNI New Frontiers Fund
"Targeting Deep Brain Stimulation to minimize cortical beta rhythms in Parkinson's Disease based on novel computational modeling predictions"
Role: PI (Co-PI Wael Asaad)
2013-2014 BIBS/NPNI New Frontiers Fund
"Effects of Transcranial Alternating Current Stimulation to Somatosensory Cortex on Sensory Thresholds and Acute Pain: Behavior, EEG, and Computational Modeling"
Role: PI (Co-PI Ben Greenberg)
2005-2010 NIH K25 MH072941
"Neurodynamics of Attention MEG, EEG and Modeling"
2008-2010 Harvard Medical School, Claflin Distinguished Scholar Award
"Computational Modeling of Hemo-Neural Interactions Relevant to Epilepsy"
2010-2011 MGH ECOR Internal Funding Award
"Computational and Electrophysiology Investigation of a Beta Origin Hypothesis"
2011-2012 Harvard Med. School, Scholars in Medicine Dr Lynne Reid Fellowship Award
"Making Beta Waves: Integrating m Mathematical Neural Modeling and Optogenetics to Rescue Parkinsonian Brain Activity"
2012-2013 Harvard Catalyst BCH Pilot Research Grant
"Electrophysiological cortical abnormality in children with encephalopathy of prematurity"
- Kerr CE, Sacchet MD, Lazar SW, Moore CI, Jones SR. Mindfullness starts with the body: somatosensory attention and top-down modulation of cortical alpha rhythms in mindfulness mediation. Front Hum Neurosci 2013;7:17 Epub 2013 Feb 13 (2013)
- Stephanie R. Jones. "Biophysically Principled Computational Neural Network Modeling of Magneto-/Electro- Encephalography Measured Human Brain Oscillations". Chapter in 'Neural Methods' Textbook.Springer Publishing; Editors: Fellin and Hallasa 2011 (2011)
- Kerr CE*, Jones SR*, Wan Q, Pritchett DL, Wasserman RH, Wexler A, Villanueva JJ, Shaw JR, Kaptchuk TJ, Littenberg R, Hamalainen MS, Moore CI. . Effects of Mindfulness Meditation Training on Cortical Dyamics: A MEG Study of Alpha Rhythm Modulation in SI. Brain Research Bulletin. 2011 85(3-4):96-103. (2011)
- Wan Q, Kerr CE, Pritchett D, Hamalainen M, Moore CI, Jones SR.Dynamics of Dynamics within a single data sessions: Variation in neocortical alpha oscillations. PLoSONE. 6(9) 324941 (2011)
- Vierling-Claassen D, Cardin JA, Moore CI, Jones SR. Computational Modeling Of Distinct Neocortical Oscillations Driven By Cell-Type Selective Optogentic Drive: Separable Resonant Circuits Controlled By Low-Threshold Spiking And Fast-Spiking Interneurons. Frontiers in Human Neuroscience: Special Issue on Origin and Consequences of Rhythmic activity. 2010 Nov 22, 4:198 (2010)
- Jones SR*, Kerr CE*, Wan Q, Pritchett DL, Hamalainen MS, Moore CI. Cued Spatial Attention Drives Representation-Specific Modulation of The Alpha Rhythm in Primary Somatosensory Cortex. J. Neurosci. 2010;30(41):13760-5. (2010)
- Ziegler DA, Pritchett DL, Hosseini-Varnamkhast P, Suzanne Corkin, H_m_l_inen MS, Moore CI, Jones SR. Transformations in Oscillatory Activity and Evoked Responses in Primary Somatosensory Cortex in Middle Age: A Combined Computational Neural Modeling and MEG Study. Neuroimage. 2010;52(3):897:912. (2010)
- Jones SR, Pritchett DL, Stufflebeam SM, Sikora M, Hamalainen MS, Moore CI. Quantitative Analysis and Biophysically-Realistic Modeling of the MEG Mu Rhythm: Rhythmogenesis and Modulation of Sensory Evoked Responses. J. Neurophys. 2009;102(6):3554-72. (2009)
- Jones SR, Pritchett DL, Stufflebeam SM, Hamalainen, M, Moore CI. Neural Correlates of Tactile Detection: A Combined MEG and Biophysically Based Computational Modeling Study. J. Neurosci. 2007;27(40):10751-10764. (2007)