Golfo Tzilos, PhD
Assistant Professor (Research)
Departments of Psychiatry & Human Behavior and Behavioral & Social Sciences
Work: +1 401-455-6645
BiographyGolfo Tzilos is a licensed clinical psychologist and an Assistant Professor (Research) in the Departments of Psychiatry & Human Behavior and Behavioral & Social Sciences at Brown University. She received a Ph.D. in clinical psychology from Wayne State University in Detroit, MI, completed a predoctoral internship at Brown Medical School, and a postdoctoral fellowship at the Brown Center for Alcohol and Addiction Studies. Her primary research interests are in computer-delivered approaches to identify and intervene with vulnerable populations, including women at risk for HIV/STIs, alcohol/drug use, and intimate partner violence.
Grants and AwardsSharon Chauncey Fellowship Award, Center for Alcohol & Addiction Studies, Brown University, 2012
CPDD Early Career Investigators Travel Award, NIDA, 2012
RSA Junior Investigator Award, NIAAA, 2009, 2011, 2012
Chief Postdoctoral Fellow, Center for Alcohol & Addiction Studies, Brown University, 2011-2012
Research Excellence Award, Center for Alcohol & Addiction Studies, Brown University, 2011
First Prize, Psychology Fellow Research Poster, 14th Annual Research Symposium on Mental Health Services, Brown University, 2011
NIH Loan Repayment Program Award in Clinical Research, National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism, 2010
Ross and Margaret Stagner Memorial Award, Wayne State University, Department of Psychology, 2009
Steven A. Lewis Memorial Research Award, Wayne State University, Department of Psychology, 2009
Norine G. Johnson Clinical Psychology Scholarship, Wayne State University, Department of Psychology, 2009
John Teahan Memorial Award, Wayne State University, Department of Psychology, Clinical Training, 2007
Funded Research1. Computer intervention for HIV/STI risk and drug use during pregnancy.
National Institute of Child Health & Human Development
PIs: Tzilos, Zlotnick
2. iHeLP: Interactive technology to prevent substance use in foster youth.
National Institute on Drug Abuse
1. A brief computer-based intervention for alcohol use during pregnancy.
National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism
01/01/2007 - 06/30/2009
PI: Tzilos; Mentor: Ondersma
2. National Research Service Award: Alcohol Intervention/Treatment Outcome Research Training.
National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism
Role: Postdoctoral Trainee
- Tzilos, G., Strong, D., Abrantes, A., Ramsey, S., Brown, R. (in press). Quit intention as a predictor of quit attempts over time in adolescents with psychiatric disorders. American Journal on Addictions. (IN PRESS)
- Tzilos, G., Hess, L., Kao, J., Zlotnick, C. (in press). Characteristics of perinatal women seeking treatment for marijuana abuse in a community-based clinic. Archives of Women's Mental Health. (IN PRESS)
- Tzilos, G., Zlotnick, C., Raker, C., Kuo, C, Phipps, M. (2012) Psychosocial factors associated with depression severity in pregnant adolescents. Archives of Women's Mental Health, 15, 397-401. (2012)
- Tzilos, G., Sokol, R., Ondersma, S. (2011). A Randomized Phase I Trial of a Brief Computer-Delivered Intervention for Alcohol Use During Pregnancy. Journal of Women's Health, 20(10), 1-8. (2011)
- Beatty, J., Stacks, A., Partridge, T., Tzilos, G., Loree, A., Ondersma, S. (2011). LoTTS Parent-Infant Interaction Coding Scale: Ease of Use and Reliability in a Sample of High-Risk Mothers and Their Infants. Children and Youth Services Review, 33, 8690. (2011)
- Oberleitner, L., Tzilos, G., Zumberg, K., Grekin, E. (2011). Psychotropic drug use among college students: Patterns of use, misuse, and medical monitoring. Journal of American College Health, 59(7), 658-661. (2011)
- Tzilos, G., Ondersma, S., Grekin, E., Beatty, J., Chase, S. (2010). Commission vs. receipt of violence during pregnancy: associations with substance abuse variables. Journal of Interpersonal Violence, 25(10), 1928-40. (2010)
- Tzilos, G., Rhodes, G., Ledgerwood, D., Greenwald, M. (2009). Predicting cocaine group treatment outcome in cocaine-abusing methadone patients. Experimental & Clinical Psychopharmacology, 17 (5), 320-325. (2009)
- Silveri, M., Tzilos, G., Yurgelun-Todd, D. (2008). Relationship between white matter volume and cognitive performance during adolescence: effects of age and risk for drug use. Addiction, 103(9), 1509-1520. (2008)
- Streeter, C., Terhune, D., Whitfield, T., Gruber, S., Sarid-Segal, O., Silveri, M., Tzilos, G., Afshar, M., Rouse, E., Tian, H., Renshaw, P., Ciraulo, D., Yurgelun-Todd, D. (2007). Performance on the stroop predicts treatment compliance in cocaine dependent individuals. Neuropsychopharmacology, June. (2007)
- Gruber, S., Tzilos, G., Silveri, M., Pollock, M., Renshaw, P., Kaufman, M., Yurgelun-Todd, DA. (2006). Methadone maintenance improves cognitive performance after two months of treatment. Experimental and Clinical Psychopharmacology, 14(2), 157-164. (2006)
- Tzilos, G., Cintron, C., Wood, JR., Young, A., Simpson, N., Pope, H.G. Jr., Yurgelun-Todd, DA. (2005). Lack of hippocampal volume change in long-term heavy cannabis users. The American Journal on Addictions, 14(1), 64-72. (2005)
- Silveri, M., Tzilos, G., Pimentel, P., Yurgelun-Todd, DA. (2004). Trajectories of adolescent emotional and cognitive development: effects of sex and risk for drug use. Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, 1021, 363-370. (2004)