Jennifer Walsh, PhD
Assistant Professor (Research)
Psychiatry and Human Behavior (Warren Alpert Medical School) & Behavioral and Social Sciences (School of Public Health)
Work: +1 401-793-8334
Sexual health promotion and risk reduction among sexually transmitted infection (STI) clinic patients and adolescents and emerging adults; integrative data analysis of HIV prevention interventions; application of advanced statistical methods to intervention data; longitudinal data analysis.
BiographyJennifer Walsh, PhD, is an Assistant Professor (Research) of Psychiatry and Human Behavior in the Warren Alpert Medical School and of Behavioral and Social Sciences in the School of Public Health at Brown University and a Research Scientist in the Centers for Behavioral and Preventive Medicine at The Miriam Hospital. She is a developmental psychologist with expertise in HIV and STI prevention, sexual health and risk taking in adolescence and emerging adulthood, and advanced statistical methods.
Research DescriptionWalsh's current work focuses on integrative data analysis (IDA) of HIV prevention trials conducted in STI clinics and is funded by a K01 award from NIMH (K01-MH099956). These integrative analyses will focus on mediators and moderators of intervention success with the goal of identifying key targets for brief risk reduction interventions.
Other lines of research focus on sexual risk taking and substance use during the first year of college and on associations between low socioeconomic status (SES), poor mental health, and multiple health behaviors.
Walsh's statistical interests and expertise are in the areas of latent growth modeling (LGM), structural equation modeling (SEM), multilevel modeling (MLM), and latent class analysis (LCA).
Funded ResearchIntegrative Data Analysis of HIV Prevention Trials (K01-MH099956)
National Institutes of Mental Health
Role: Primary Investigator
- Walsh, J. L., Fielder, R. L., Carey, K. B., & Carey, M. P. (2013). Changes in women's condom use over the first year of college. Journal of Sex Research, 50, 128-38. (2013)
- Walsh, J. L., Senn, T. E., & Carey, M. P. (2013). Longitudinal associations between health behaviors and mental health in low-income adults. Translational Behavioral Medicine, 3, 104-13. (2013)
- Walsh, J. L., Fielder, R. L., Carey, K. B., & Carey, M. P. (2013). Female college students' media use and academic outcomes: Results from a longitudinal cohort study. Emerging Adulthood, 1, 219-232. (2013)
- Walsh, J. L., Fielder, R. L., Carey, K. B., & Carey, M. P. (2013). Do alcohol and marijuana use decrease the probability of condom use for college women? Journal of Sex Research. (2013)
- Walsh, J. L., Senn, T. E., Scott-Sheldon, L. A. J., Vanable, P. A., & Carey, M. P. (2012). Using growth mixture modeling to identify heterosexual men who reduce their frequency of unprotected sex following a behavioral intervention. AIDS & Behavior, 16, 1501-1510. (2012)
- Walsh, J. L., Senn, T. E., & Carey, M. P. (2012). Exposure to different types of violence and subsequent sexual risk behavior among female sexually transmitted disease clinic patients: A latent class analysis. Psychology of Violence, 2, 339-54. (2012)
- Walsh, J. L., Senn, T. E., Scott-Sheldon, L. A. J., Vanable, P. A., & Carey, M. P. (2011). Predicting condom use using the Information-Motivation-Behavioral Skills (IMB) model: A multivariate latent growth curve analysis. Annals of Behavioral Medicine, 42, 235-44. (2011)
- Walsh, J. L., Ward, L. M., Caruthers, A., & Merriwether, A. (2011). Awkward or amazing: Gender and age trends in first intercourse experiences. Psychology of Women Quarterly, 35, 59-71. (2011)
- Walsh, J. L., & Ward, L. M. (2010). Magazine reading and involvement and young adults' sexual health knowledge, efficacy, and behaviors. Journal of Sex Research, 47, 285-300. (2010)
- Walsh, J. L., & Ward, L. M. (2008). Adolescent gender role portrayals in the media: 1950-the present. In P. Jamieson, & D. Romer (Eds.), The changing portrayal of adolescents in the media and why it matters (pp. 132-164). Oxford, UK: Oxford University Press. (2008)