The Core Clerkship in Surgery is an 6 week rotation through clinical services within the Department of Surgery. Students will interact with patients and their families in all aspects of surgical care. They will be part of a team of physicians and other health care professionals whose goal is to manage surgical disease both in and out of the operating room. The Alpert Medical School surgical faculty and residents act as teachers, not only in the areas of surgical skill and clinical competence, but also in the ability to provide ethical and compassionate care.
A number of scheduled educational activities have been especially designed for the students. A competency-based curriculum, with emphasis on clinical problem solving, relies on the student's ability to maintain a program of personal and professional growth and lifelong learning. Active participation is necessary for success. Exposure to a variety of clinical situations will provide students with an opportunity to evaluate General Surgery and the other surgical subspecialties as potential future career choices.
The mission of the Surgery Clerkship is to provide the third-year medical student with an introduction to surgical disease. This experience will emphasize the clinical presentation, pathophysiology, and management of commonly encountered surgical problems. The student will develop a basic knowledge base as preparation for entry into any field of medicine.
The student will attain knowledge of the principles necessary for diagnosing, evaluating and managing the surgical patient.
- To develop the student's understanding of the nature of surgical diseases and surgical intervention as a curative and/or palliative agent in their treatment;
- To help the student understand and manage surgical problems;
- To help the student develop independent learning skills;
- To help the student understand when surgery is the most effective and efficient mode of therapy and thereby help him/her understand when patients need referral to a surgeon.
Recommended Surgical Textbooks
- Surgical Attending Rounds (Dyke)
- Essentials of General Surgery (Lawrence)
- Sabiston Textbook of Surgery (available through MD Consult)
- A surgical atlas is also available online through MD Consult.
- Surgical Recall (Blackbourne)
- NMS Surgery Casebook
- Appleton & Lange Q & A Surgery
- Rhode Island Hosptial
- The Miriam Hospital
Beth A. Ryder, MD
Manuel Garcia Toca, MD