The Warren Alpert Medical School is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) to provide continuing education activities to physicians for AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™.
The Office of Continuing Medical Education collaborates with Alpert Medical School faculty, affiliated hospital clinicians, local and regional specialty societies, the Rhode Island Department of Health and other agencies interested in planning formal CME activities for the purpose of enhancing the quality of health and healthcare.
If you are interested in working with us to sponsor an activity for accreditation, please call our office at (401) 863-2871.
As per ACCME guidelines, our office must be involved at the initial planning stages of any program. In addition to CME accreditation, we also provide assistance in obtaining accreditations for other healthcare providers.
To ensure adequate time for planning, implementation and oversight, the Office of Continuing Medical Education requires a minimum of 12 weeks for accreditation of live activities with no commercial support. For live activities with potential commercial support or exhibits, we require a minimum of 16 weeks.
Brown CME Accreditation services include:
- Consultation with the Course Director and Planning Committee to ensure compliance with the ACCME policies and criteria and the policies of the Brown CME Office.
- Needs assessment and gap analysis
- Learning objectives
- Educational format
- Evaluation of the activity
- Outcomes measurement and evaluation
- Participation in the educational planning and program development.
- Coordination of other types of continuing education accreditation applications (e.g. AAFP, Nursing, Social Work, Psychology)
- Management of faculty and planners' commercial interest disclosure information.
- Assistance in the resolution of potential conflicts of interest prior to the activity.
- Commercial Support:
- Advise course director(s) and planners on the ACCME Standards of Commercial Support and Exhibit policies and ensure compliance.
- Prepare and manage online applications for educational grants.
- Ensure that appropriate Letters of Agreement from all commercial funding sources are completed and signed by all parties.
- Review and Approval of all activity marketing materials prior to printing and distribution.
- Preparation of CME Credit Certificates and Certificates of Attendance upon completion of the activity.
- Maintenance of all activity records and documentation for six years as required by the ACCME.
- Attend the program.