2015 Transgender Medicine Conference
Saturday, January 10, 2015
7:30 am - 4:30 pm
Warren Alpert Medical School of Brown University
222 Richmond Street, Providence RI 02912
Please join us at the 2015 Transgender Medicine Conference at the Warren Alpert Medical School of Brown University.The purpose of this one-day conference is to educate providers on important concepts related to caring for transgender patients, increasing providers knowledge and the community’s access to care. Experts from the region will present on best practices and lessons from their own work.
At the conclusion of this activity, participants should be able to:
- Better understand the history of transgender care and the unique barriers to care the transgender community faces
- Explain professional guidelines established for the appropriate care of transgender adolescent and adult patients
- Identify the risk/benefits of hormone therapy, and be able to design a plan of care that incorporates established guidelines for the appropriate care and use of cross-gender hormones
- Compare and contrast the unique primary care needs of male-to-female and female-to-male transgender patients
- Gain insight into the long-term preventive needs of those on cross-gender hormone therapy, such as cancer screening and cardiac risk reduction
- Recognize sexual health needs of transgender patients, and gain confidence in addressing these with patients
- Identify mental health issues unique to transgender individuals, and better understand the role of the mental health professional through transitioning
This conference is tailored to physicians, mental health professionals as well as allied health professionals. Students are welcome and encouraged to attend the provider track.
*The TGI Network will be sponsoring a separate track of information sessions for community members to attend. This schedule is currently being developed. Please check the registration site in the coming weeks for more details.
The Warren Alpert Medical School of Brown University is accredited by the ACCME to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
Physicians: The Warren Alpert Medical School of Brown University designates this live activity for a maximum of 7.75 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participationin the activity.
Physician Assistants and Nurse Practitioners: Participants will receive a Certificate of Attendance for up to 7.75 hours.
Social Workers: This activity has been approved by the NASW,Rhode Island for 6.0 CE’s, Authorization #:RI-5825, valid until4/30/15.
Conference registration fee includes: Breakfast, breaks,lunch, access to an online syllabus, and on-site parking.
$40.00 Other Allied Health Professionals
$25.00 Residents and Fellows
Warren Alpert Medical School of Brown University, Brown University Department of Family Medicine and Caring for the Underserved Scholarly Concentration
We Gratefully Acknowledge The Support Of:
Elise Coletta Fund
Neighborhood Health Plan of Rhode Island
Northern Rhode Island Area Health Education Center