The Brown Medical Alumni Association (BMAA) connects medical alumni to Brown’s medical school, the University, and the extended medical community. Membership is extended to graduates of Brown’s medical school, graduates of Brown University who hold degrees from other medical schools, faculty members and house staff officers of the medical school. It promotes awareness of the Medical School and the accomplishments of its alumni, connects directly with medical students in an effort to serve, represents alumni interests to the administration of the School and of Brown University, and participates in fundraising initiatives that further Alpert Medical School’s mission.
The BMAA fosters a relationship with current Alpert Medical School students. The BMAA reaches out in a number of ways:
- Provides white coats to every first-year medical student which are presented during the annual Ceremony of Commitment to Medicine;
- Hosts networking events where alumni connect with students to discuss career choices and share their personal experiences;
- Distributes grants to medical student groups, such as the Latino Medical Student Association;
- Presents awards and honors to distinguished members of the Brown community; and
- Presents a congratulatory gift to the members of each graduating class.