A primary goal of Science Center Outreach is to help faculty respond effectively to the Broader Impacts criterion of governmental funding agencies.
Broader Impacts of an NSF proposal can incorporate strategies that integrate research and education or that enhance the diversity of NSF programs, projects, and activities. As a proposal is being developed, principal investigators need to think broadly about how their project will address these principal strategies. A thoughtfully conceived and innovative Broader Impact section can substantially improve the chances of a proposal being funded. If two competing proposals are rated as equal in terms of intellectual merit, a well-conceived proposed Broader Impact project can be the tie-breaker.
We help faculty develop their ideas for Broader Impacts projects, and see how these projects might fit into larger, well-established, and well-evaluated programs. We can also connect science faculty with teachers from area schools. Projects designed in collaboration with teachers, and proposals with accompanying endorsements from local school administrators, are most likely to be approved for funding.
We can also help faculty describe the projected impact of the activities being proposed and the evaluation plans to measure these impacts. These plans provide proposal reviewers and program officers with strong justification to highly rate, and strongly consider the proposal for funding.
For more information about our Broader Impacts consultation services for faculty and researchers, contact Dean Oludurotimi Adetunji, Director of Science Center Outreach.
We provide Broader Impact Consultation Services in the following areas:
- Alternative pedagogical innovations
- Informal science education
- Innovative outreach projects
- Interdisciplinary/cross disciplinary collaborations
- Outreach/education assessment
- Partnership with educators and pre-collegiate schools
- Partnerships with historically black colleges and universities/minority serving institutions
- Partnerships with community colleges
- Professional development for K-12 educators
- Research-based hands-on activities
- Under represented minority (URM) pipeline in STEM fields