Frequently Asked Questions

For more comprehensive information about TAPS undergraduate program, please read our Undergraduate Handbook.

Top Frequently Asked Questions:

How can I talk to someone about the program/get connected with faculty/schedule a visit? TAPS faculty and staff are always happy to make themselves available to meet with prospective students to discuss the program. Please make contact well in advance of your preferred date with one of our advisors via email to discuss logistics.  Prospective students are welcome to visit our facilities in Lyman Hall and tours of our building can be arranged in advance by contacting the department directly.   Additional campus tours and info sessions are available to prospective students through the Undergraduate Admissions Office.   The building and main office is open  Monday through Friday, 9am - 4pm during the academic year (Sept - end of May) and9am - 3pm (Memorial Day  - August).     

Do I need to audition?  No.  If you are accepted at Brown, all of our Department's activities and offerings will be open to you.  We do recommend a visit so that you can take the campus tour and sit in on a class to observe our students, faculty and staff in action. 

Can I send in audio/visual materials to supplement my application?
No. Auditions and portfolio reviews are neither required nor reviewed for students interested in Theatre Arts and Performance Studies.  Any materials sent directly to the department will be returned unopened and unread.  If you choose to send in supplementary materials, please mail items directly to the Office of College Admission, PO Box 1876, Providence, RI 02912. If you have a YouTube video we recommend sending a link to

Does TAPS offer a concentration in Dance? There is no separate dance major or concentration track, but you can focus on dance academically within the Theatre ArtsPerformance Studies or Writing for Performance tracks.  Please email if you have specific questions about on-campus dance offerings.

Does TAPS offer a concentration in Design?  There is not currently a separate design concentration track, but you can focus on design, tech and production academically within any of our tracks.  You can also contact our Production Director with questions about design and production opportunities at Brown.  The John Street Studio is the focal point for the department's design initiative, and provides classrooms, studio space and support for designers at Brown and beyond. It is a convergence of students and professionals working on departmental productions, as well as artists from other departments and the local community (including RISD/Brown Design for AmericaArchaeology, the RISD Sculpture department, A Better World by Design and Brown Opera Productions.)  

What performance opportunities are available to me in TAPS? There are many opportunities to perform for both concentrators and non-concentrators in TAPS. Go to our Performances and Events page to see details on our current season. We also list auditions in our News section.

Can I work in the department if I'm an undergraduate student?  The department relies heavily on students for all of its productions, including the mainstage Sock and Buskin Season, dance concerts, and a myriad of special performance events throughout the year.  This includes paid positions for undergraduates with our Costume Shop, Production Manager's office, Scene Shop, Design Studio, and Publicity/Box Office/House Management.  Please check the student employment website for current openings with our department.  Graduate students and non-Brown students are not eligible for student employment positions.

For more Frequently Asked Questions, see the FAQ section of our Undergraduate Handbook.