Dear Parents and Families,
We are delighted to invite you to the 2013 Medical Family Weekend, October 18-20. The weekend is your chance to see Providence, learn more about Alpert Medical School and your student’s experience, and spend some time together.
Please take a few minutes to review the schedule of events. We think you will be impressed by this year’s offerings. Participating in this weekend is a great opportunity to show students our support for their hard work, and at the same time, build our own community of parents and families. This is our daughter’s last year at Brown, and we are grateful to have been part of this amazing community and to share Alexis’s love for her School. We hope to see you in October!
Thea Mancini P’10MD’14
Melvin Mancini, DPM P’10MD’14
Co-Chairs, Medical Parents Committee
2013 Medical Family Weekend Highlights
- Online registration is now closed. Should you decide to join us at the last minute, we will accept on-site registrations at 222 Richmond Street from noon to 7 p.m. on Friday, October 18, and 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Saturday, October 19. University registration will be at the Stephen Robert '62 Campus Center, Petteruti Lounge, 75 Waterman Street.
- At the Ceremony of Commitment to Medicine, each first-year medical student receives an Alpert Medical School white coat, marking his or her entry into the world of medicine. View detailed information about the ceremony for students and families.
- Student-led tours of the Medical School Building, which opened in August 2011, will be available throughout the weekend.
- The Medical Parents Committee meets every October during Family Weekend. Members are asked to be goodwill ambassadors for the Medical School through involvement in hosting events, planning programs, and supporting and encouraging parent giving to the Medical School. If you are interested in learning more about this committee please contact Bethany Solomon, director of parent programs, at 401 863-1635 or Bethany_Solomon@brown.edu.
- The Parents and Family Handbooks for both PLME and medical programs are available online. Drawing on input from deans, students, and current and past parents, this overview provides a curriculum summary for the undergraduate program and medical school, plus additional details about our student’s classroom and clinical training, advising, professional development, electives, extracurricular activities, recreation, and more.
If you have any questions or concerns, please don’t hesitate to be in touch! We are happy to answer questions and provide guidance to ensure your trip to Brown is fun and exciting. Contact the Medical Parent Programs Office at 401.863.6030 or AlpertMedical_Events@brown.edu.
We are truly looking forward to hosting you here on campus for Medical Family Weekend. See you in October!