Gender and Sexuality Studies
Gender and Sexuality Studies is an interdisciplinary concentration that examines the construction of gender and sexuality in social, cultural, political, economic, or scientific contexts. Each concentrator focuses on a well-defined topic or question and works closely with a concentration advisor to develop a program that investigates this focus area rigorously and supplements it with foundational courses in the relevant disciplines. Typical areas of focus include the acculturation of gender, sexuality and race in American politics or activism, the construction of sexual and gendered identities in educational institutions or in various forms of visual media, a contrast between different cultural understandings of sexual identity, a particular national literature and history. Such topics will frequently bring questions of gender and sexuality together; however students may also organize their concentrations to emphasize questions specifically related to gender or to sexuality. Introductory and methodology courses in the disciplines appropriate to students' focus will help them understand the principles grounding such practices as historical research, literary interpretation, and sociological analysis.
Here's what concentrators from the classes of 2012 and 2013 reported they were doing in their first year after graduation.
Here's what concentrators from the classes of 2012, and 2013, reported they were doing in their first year after graduation.
- Administrative Intern, Kenway Consulting
- Corps Member/2nd Grade Teacher, Teach for America
- Editorial Intern, Footnote
- Finance Manager, Inclusive Communities
- Intern, Edgewater Gallery
- Math Teacher, The Field School
- Video Fellow, BuzzFeed
- New York University School of Law, JD
- Yale Law School, JD/MPH, Law
- After-school Teacher, Asian Youth Center
- CEO, Buy with Heart
- Corps Member, U.S. Peace Corps
- Editorial Research Assistant, American Institutes for Research
- Head of Communications and Research, Bright Funds
- Southern New Hampshire University
- Yale University, PhD, American Studies