Portuguese and Brazilian Studies
Portuguese and Brazilian Studies examines the Portuguese-speaking world, a large and diverse geographical and cultural area spread over five continents. Inhabited by two hundred fifty million people, this area includes Brazil, Continental and Insular Portugal, Lusophone Africa and Luso-America. Although concentrators are encouraged to examine the global nature of the Portuguese-speaking world, typically they focus on one of the specific geographical entities mentioned above. Concentrators will strengthen their Portuguese language skills (Portuguese 400 or the equivalent is a pre-requisite) and explore relevant Lusophone literature, education, history and social science. The concentration offers one program in language and literature and another that is interdisciplinary. Most concentrators study abroad in either Brazil or Portugal.
Here's what concentrators from the class of 2012 reported they were doing in their first year after graduation.
- Administrative Coordinator, Compass Family Services
- College Advisor, AmeriCorps - National College Advising Corps
- Corps Member, Teach for America
- Counselor Intern, Upward Bound Program, Rhode Island College
- Financial Fellow, The Financial Clinic
- Legal Assistant, Milbank, Tweed, Hadley & McCloy
- Media Outreach and Communications Intern, Seedling Projects
- Project Manager, Epic Systems