Careers in the Common Good (CCG) is a resource for students and alumni interested in nonprofit, social enterprise or public service careers and working for the common good. CCG provides programs, online resources and advising to help students explore ways to craft a career that makes a difference. CCG is an initiative of the CareerLAB, Curricular Resource Center, and Swearer Center for Public Service.
- Brown-specific, city-based, paid summer internships with non-profits and start ups through the Careers in the Common Good Summer in New York City (CCG in NYC) program and Impact Providence, a project of the Swearer Center for Public Service and the CareerLAB.
- At CCG Community Hours Brown alumni and others talk about their work and the different pathways Brown students can take into common good careers. All Community Hours are at 6:00 PM at the CareerLAB, unless otherwise noted.
Sept. 24 -- The Non-Profit Job and Internship search -- LOCATION TBD
Oct. 8 -- Education -- LOCATION TBD
Oct. 22 -- Pathways to Government Work
Nov. 5 -- Pathways to International Work
Nov. 19 -- Demystifying Non-Profits, Writing for Non-Profits
March 4 -- Environment and Sustainability
March 18 -- Pathways to the Museum World
April 1 -- Public Interest Law
April 15 -- Making A Living While Making A Difference
- The Non-Profit Internship and Job Fair will be held Thursday, Feb. 20, 2014 from 11:00 to 3:00 at Sayles Hall. First-years, sophomores and juniors talked with employers about summer internships and graduating seniors and graduate students discussed full-time jobs in education, the arts, public service, activism, public health, entrepreneurship and more.
- The Brown Student Job and Internship Board lists job and internship postings from hundreds of non-profit, government, public health, social entrepreneurship and other common good employers.
- The Careers in the Common Good Field Notes includes jobs and internship listings you won't find on the Job and Internship Board and resources to help you in the job and internship search.
- Exploring Options is a database of fellowships, networks, graduate schools, resources, and other information divided into 20 different common good career fields.
- Connect with alumni through the Brown Alumni in Public Service LinkedIn group.
- Career Modules to help Brown students get clear, get connected and get hired faster for jobs in Corporate Social Responsibility, Sustainable Business, and Social Enterprise.
- The 2012 CCG Career Resources Guide, which includes programs, events, books, email lists, job databases, and newsletters.
You can schedule a meeting with any CareerLAB advisor to discuss common good careers. Jim Amspacher -- one of CareerLAB's four advisors -- works with employers and alumni to develop more common good internship and job opportunities for Brown students.
In addition, you can schedule an advising session with Peggy Chang, the director of the Curricular Resource Center, who also heads up CCG's alumni outreach efforts.