Computing Accounts & Passwords
Our office manages access to administrative accounts as well as to electronic services. We strive to ensure that such access is prompt but prudent, as we are responsible for safeguarding those systems and services through adherence to, and maintenance of, proper security procedures, and within the legal guidelines of this university.
Here are some of the account and access services we can provide to you:
- Process requests to create, change or delete administrative accounts
- Unlock accounts or reset their passwords
- Resolve email account problems, whether with account activation, alternate email addresses or your directory information
- Change Usernames due to name changes
- Create Departmental IDs (such as Computing_Services) or reassign ID owners
- Assist with problems accessing electronic phone bills
- Reset Username passwords or BRUTIS PINs
- Assign static IP addresses (for students)
If you have general questions about access to computing resources, please feel free to contact us as well.
Access to Administrative Applications
While most members of the Brown community will automatically be given general access to electronic services (email, network access, use of the clusters and networked printing), access to administrative accounts must be specifically requested. A completed and authorized request must be submitted to our office using the appropriate form for the needed application.
For more details, please refer to our Account Management Policy & Procedures, which includes specifics on how to request an account, and an explanation of the creation and deletion of accounts.
Access to Electronic Services
Some individuals affiliated with the Brown community do not automatically receive general access to electronic services. If there is a demonstrated need for these services, however, the individual's supervisor should first contact the CAP to determine if the person qualifies for services. If approved, then call the Brown Card Office (BCO) to obtain a "Brown Card ID Request Form" to create the individual's account. The BCO may be reached at 863-2273. On their form please indicate the need for electronic services, which our office can attach.
For more details on who receives electronic services, which kind of services, and for how long, please refer to our Electronic Services policy.