help desk service on site appointment procedure
Here are some steps that we may need you to follow before we schedule a Service on Site appointment with you:
How to find the version of Windows XP you are using:
- Click on the start button and select “Control Panel”
- Select “Performance and Maintenance” (there are two different ways that the Control Panel can look. If you do not see “Performance and Maintenance," move to the next step . Select “System."
- When you select “System,” the Default Tab will be “General”. On this Tab you will be able to see information about your Version of Windows XP and which service pack you have installed. This will also offer information about your processor speed and the amount of RAM that is installed in your computer.
How to find out what version of the Mac OS you are using:
- Click on the Apple menu in the upper left hand corner of your Mac.
- Choose the “About This Mac” option. This will open a small window which contains information about your Mac Operating System Version, Processor speed, Memory (RAM) amount, and your start up disk.
- Clicking the “More Info…” button will give you further in depth information about your Mac.
How to properly uninstall Symantec Antivirus:
- Click on the Start button and select "Control Panel"
- Select "Add or Remove Programs"
- After the list generates, look for "Symantec" and "Live update." Highlight each by single-clicking them, When the program is highlighted, the right side of the screen will then offer a "Change/Remove" button.
- Click on the Change/Remove button.
How to check what version of Symantec you are using and manually update your Symantec:
- Click the little Gold Shield on the right side of your start bar (by your clock). IF at first glance you do not see the Shield, check for a “<” in a circle. …. Click it . Now take a second look. If you still don't see the Shield, click on the Start menu and choose “Symantec Client Security” --> “Symantec AntiVirus”.
- The Window that opens will have the “Program Version” and “LiveUpdate” button on the Right hand side. The Version of Symantec you have installed will be in the “Program Versions” section listed as “Program”.
- In order to Update manually, locate the “LiveUpdate” Button on the right hand side and click on it.
How to Run a Check Disk Repair on a PC:
- Click on the "Start" menu and click "Run"
- Type in "cmd" and Click "OK"
- When the black screen with the blinking cursor comes up, type in "chkdsk /r" (there is a space between the "K" and the forward slash") your computer will now run a Check Disk the next time you restart.
How to start your computer in Safe Mode:
- When you turn on the power to your computer, begin tapping on your F8 button. Continue to do this until you come to a black screen with white text.
- You can then use your up arrow to select "Safe Mode". Safe Mode will start your computer system up with limited system resources. Often, when you have a spyware or Virus issue on your computer, starting it in safe mode can help prevent these issues from starting up. This can sometimes enable you to remove malware from your system that you normally can't in regular Windows Mode. Often when you have a virus on your computer that you are unable to remove with your anti-virus software, we ask you to try to run a scan in safe mode. "Safe Mode with Networking" is the same as Safe Mode, but allows you to gain internet access. This mode is usually recommended when trying to install and update your anti-virus software when a known issue has been made apparent.