Are you frustrated with Gmail compose windows that are "stuck" to the bottom right corner of your browser? Learn how to set them free with this video tip.
Google Forms recently updated to be more consistent with other Google Drive document types. Two helpful new features are auto save and real-time collaboration. The new format is fairly intuitive, but you should be aware of one major change – form responses do not get collected in a spreadsheet by default.
To indicate that you would like to collect responses in a spreadsheet, click the “Choose response destination” button at the top while editing the form.
Need help connecting to Brown's secure wireless network? Drop in for wireless help at the CIT building (115 Waterman Street):
- Wednesday 9/4, 8:30 am - 5pm, CIT 210
- Thursday 9/5, 12 pm - 5pm, CIT 165
- Friday 9/6, 8:30 am - 5pm, CIT 210
Also note that the CIS Help Desk and Computing Accounts and Passwords office has returned to the CIT building as part of our initiative to build an IT Service Center, a single location to provide in-person IT services offered by CIS.
The IT Service Center, which is normally open only during Brown business hours, is extending its hours for Back to School weekend:
- Saturday 8/31 - 10am to 4pm
- Sunday 9/1 - 10am to 4pm
We are excited to announce Brown's new Information Technology website! Our vision is to provide a customer-centric source for computing information at Brown.
Some features of the new site:
- The Service Catalog is the central place to learn about IT services available at Brown, find online help, and request services. We've redesigned the catalog to make it simpler and cleaner.
- Outages and security alerts are prominently featured on the homepage. We've separated these from our regular news announcements to make them easier to find. Note that the RSS feed for alerts has changed as well.
- Search all content on the IT at Brown site by choosing "Search IT" under the search box on the top right. Results may take a while to get indexed after the site launch, so this may not work well right away.
- Quickstart Guides curate IT services by audience and function.
- The Software Catalog has also been redesigned.
- We're now using the BrownSites departmental web template like many other departments.
Like every website, this is a work in progress and will constantly evolve. We'd love your feedback - are you finding what you're looking for? Tell us what you think.
Tomorrow, Thursday, August 15th, CIS is transitioning to a new IT ticketing system for the University.
Ticket notification emails will now come from firstname.lastname@example.org. A convenient feature of the new system is that you can simply reply to these notification emails to update your ticket (at this time, you must reply from your main Brown email address, not an alias or personal address - if you use an alias, we recommend setting Gmail’s “send mail as” settings to “reply from the same address the message was sent to”).
A new form for submitting help tickets will be linked from the left side of this website. Below is a quick tutorial on submitting a ticket.
You can now record your Brown WebEx conferences. Follow the links in this announcement to learn how and read more about Brown's web conferencing options.