How to Contact the IT Service Center
Please see the Support Page for contact information.
What is Supported
For repairs, we only can service Brown-owned equipment. However, for troubleshooting and general inquiries, we are happy to help you on your personal computer. Computers that don't meet the minimum specifications below may not be able to use all Brown software and services, so they are difficult or at times impossible for us to support. We will assist you with our best effort, but may not be able to resolve issues on older or non-standard machines.
Minimum Specifications for Computers
- Mac Laptops - Minimum Specifications
- Mac Desktops - Minimum Specifications
- Supported Macintosh Operating Systems
- Windows Laptops - Minimum Specifications
- Windows Desktops - Minimum Specifications
- Supported Windows Operating Systems
Supported Software and Services
- The Software Catalog lists a level of support (such as "installation only") for each piece of software - the Software Support Levels page explains what those levels mean.
- The Service Catalog has a "Get Support" link for each service. This indicates whether the service is supported by the IT Service Center or another group on campus.
Providing Information to Help Us Help You
Being specific about your situation can help us get you a quicker answer. Here is some information we may ask for and how you can find it using some readily available websites and tools.
- What browser are you using? A browser is the program you use to visit web sites. Visit whatbrowser.org to find out your browser and version.
- What is your computer's operating system? The operating system is the software framework your computer uses to function (e.g., Windows 7). Visit whatsmyos.com for your operating system and version.
- Can you send a screenshot of what you are seeing? A screenshot is simply a picture of your screen. The website take-a-screenshot.org has instructions for taking screenshots on several operating systems and devices; you can send screenshots by email.