BrownSites is the easy-to-use content management system for Brown University websites that takes advantage of best practices in web design. BrownSites:
- is Web-based. You don't need special software, it works with any web browser.
- Looks and Feels like the new Brown University website.
- allows for use of Multimedia. Just drop the URL of your video/slideshow anywhere into the body of your page.
- pulls in Calendar Events from events.brown.edu.
- shares News with an optional news feed: let users subscribe to your news.
- has Public & Draft modes: preview changes instantly, publish when ready.
- tracks Page Revisions. Revert back to a previous page versions easily.
- has Roles for Reviewers, Contributors, and Editors. Make colleagues "Contributors" to draft content, "Reviewers" to see drafted content, or "Editors" to publish updates.
- core files are Upgraded and Maintained regularly by the WebServices team. No need to upgrade software, WebServices does it!
- gains New Features regularly. As WebServices rolls out new widgets, modules, and features, they'll be available to sites.
- has Flexibility and Robustness to Customize. You can contract WebServices to add online directories, resources, applications, slideshows, and almost anything you can dream up to your site.
- Staff / Departments / Medical School Student Groups: The person who will manage the site should complete the request form. The form has options to tell WebServices if you think your BrownSite will require custom work.
- Student Groups: Registered and active student groups may request a StudentOrg BrownSite. The person who will manage site should complete the student request form. The Student Activities Office processes requests and will follow up with you if they have questions.
The standard BrownSite service including a custom banner designed by Public Affairs and University Relations is free. The cost of customizations is based on effort required to complete them. After you submit a request, WebServices will contact you to assess your needs and provide you with a quote.