Research Seed Funds and Salomon Awards are competitive grants distributed directly to faculty researchers and administered by the Office of the Vice President for Research (OVPR). OVPR distributes the Humanities Research Funds to department chairs, who then make allocations to individual faculty within their departments. Detailed guidelines are available in the OVPR 2014 Research Funds and Application Guidelines. For questions on the internal funding opportunities listed here, please contact Margaret Manning, Research Opportunities Coordinator, at (401) 863-5145.
Research Seed Funding was created to help faculty compete more successfully for large-scale, interdisciplinary, multi-investigator grants. Investigators may propose projects with budgets up to $100,000.
Application deadline: Monday, December 2, 2013, 5 p.m.
The Richard B. Salomon Faculty Research Awards were established to support excellence in scholarly work by providing funding for selected faculty research projects deemed to be of exceptional merit. Investigators may propose projects with budgets up to $15,000.
Application deadline: Monday, November 4, 2013, 5 p.m.
Humanities Research Funds help support faculty research in departments and fields in the arts, humanities and social sciences with limited external funding opportunities. Faculty apply directly to their chairs for support; full-time faculty may request up to $1,800.
Application deadline: Friday, November 15, 2013
Cost-Sharing Funds are available to help meet sponsor requirements and to increase competitiveness on certain external funding opportunities. For questions on OVPR cost-sharing, or to request cost sharing funds, please email Rebecca Sattel, Director of Finance and Administration in the Office of the Vice President for Research. Please include the opportunity requirements, details of your request including the total cost sharing required and your plan for meeting that requirement. Requests should be made well in advance of proposal submission due date.
- Brown Institute for Brain Science
- Center for Aids Research (CFAR) Developmental Grants Program
- Cogut Center for the Humanities
- Creative Arts Council
- C.V. Starr Program in Business Entrepreneurship and Organizations (BEO) Research Funds
- Dean of the Faculty Humanities Research and Teaching Fund
- Environmental Change Initiative
- Global Health Initiative
- India Initiative Summer Funding Faculty Research or Language Training
- Office of International Affairs
- Pembroke Center Seeds
- UFunds coordinates applications for funding from the Dean of the College, the President's Office, the Office of International Affairs, and Campus Life.
- UTRAs support Brown students collaborating with Brown faculty on research and teaching projects during the summer or the academic year.