The University is pleased to offer the Brown community incentives to shop locally this holiday season. On Thursday, December 5 from 11 a.m. – 5:30 p.m., faculty, staff, and students are invited to stop by the Brown Shops Local table at the Brown Bookstore to receive a complimentary Brown tote bag, beverage ticket for the College Hill Café, offers from the Bookstore, and offers from these Providence retail hubs:
- Hope Street
- South Main Street
- Wayland Square
Below you will find information on the Buy Providence/Buy Art initiative and what is happening in each retail hub on December 5 and beyond.
Let’s support the economic vitality of our city by shopping locally!
Providence Mayor Angel Taveras and the City of Providence Department of Art, Culture + Tourism have launched this year’s Buy Providence campaign. Brown is happy to be supporting this effort with our Brown Shops Local event.
Mayor Taveras has established FREE 2 HOUR PARKING in Providence commercial districts from November 29 – January 1.
Click for more information about Buy Providence and the free parking areas.
A component of Buy Providence, Buy Art is an initiative that recognizes the world-class artistic talent located right here in Providence. Many merchants and performance organizations have signed up to be part of this program.
Click for more information about Buy Art, to see the I BUY ART buttons, and to view a list, by neighborhood, of venues participating in the Buy Art campaign.
Hope Street’s Holiday Stroll is happening the night of December 5! The Stroll will feature:
- Food trucks
- Petting zoo
- Performance by Extraordinary Rendition Band
- Restaurant specials
- Fire jugglers
- Glass blowers
- Greg Abate Quartet jazz concert at the Providence Community Library from 7-8:30 p.m.
- Seven Stars Bakery will convert their exterior to a movie screen featuring short films from the Providence Children’s Film Festival
Click for more information about Hope Street including a directory.
South Main Street
Saturday, December 7 from 11 a.m. – 6 p.m. South Main Street will host its annual South Main Street Holiday Stroll. These festivities will include:
- Santa and carolers
- Shoppe Pioneer will be offering Brown ID holders 10% off your entire purchase as well as $10 to spend in the new year for every $100 spent from now to Dec. 31
- Dr. Dennis Karambelas & Associates will give you 20% off designer eyeglasses or sunglasses when you show your Brown ID
- Wine Tasting at Bin 312
- 10% off at Marc Allen
- Momentum Fitness (222 South Main Street) is offering 15% off when you show your Brown ID
You can find shopping, galleries, health and beauty service providers and retailers, restaurants, and more.
- Santa and Mrs. Claus will be at Grant’s Block (260 Westminster Street) from 12-4 p.m. each Saturday from November 30 to December 21. Have your picture taken with St. Nick for free.
- Student discount at Dash Bicycle
- 10% off at Noon Design Shop
- 10% off at Paperworks
- Complimentary gift wrapping at Homestyle
- Stores will have extended hours through the holiday season
Click for a wealth of information about the downtown area including a merchant directory, event listing, and a map.
You can download a map & guide of downtown (PDF).
Just down the street from campus you can find an impressive assortment of restaurants and retailers from an educational toy store to a fine bistro and cheese shop, from a pet supply boutique to an Irish pub, and from designer men’s and women’s clothing to sushi and everything in between.
Show a current Brown ID at the following locations and receive these very special promotions:
- Mrs. Robinson: 10% off all purchases
- Butterfield (187 Wayland Ave) welcomes customers for cocktails and hors d'oeuvres on December 5 from 5-8 p.m. while browsing the Gleena line of handmade pottery and all the many beautiful things in the store
For more information about this event, please contact Jen Braga, community liaison, by email or 863-3717.
Happy Local Shopping!