Subject: Re: talk

From: [email-masked] (Owen Ernest Kelly)
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 1997 22:58:13 -0400

The best I can say "huge". She seems to really really have the big picture.
Her basic point was that

source coding + channel coding + modulation 

should all be designed *jointly*.  I could have told you THAT, but it seems
overwhelmingly difficult.  She has just given it the college try anyway and come
away a winner.  Her talk examined when you can get away with isolated designs
and when you can't.  Very impressive.  If I had an NSF career award to give away
I wouldn't hesitate to give it to her.

Another amazing result was that if you have both power control and rate control, 
then the proper way to combat fading is to adjust your *rate* and leave power 
constant. To be more formal, if you compare capacity curves for 

i) shannon capacity
ii) adjustable rate, adjustable power
iii) adjustable rate, fixed power
iv) fixed rate, adjustable power

then iii) is much closer to i) than iv). That is, you take really big capacity 
hit if you fix the rate. 

-Owen