Fall 2014 Office Hours (beginning September 14)
- The Health Careers Peer Advisors are an integral part of Brown's Health Careers Advising team. Consult a Brown undergraduate with experience as a health careers student during weekly office hours. The Peer Advisors also coordinate two highly-informative and engaging events each semester and share tips with students through the Premed Jo monthly Emails. The full HCPA team will be announced shortly.
|Sundays||4pm- 6pm||Science Center, 303|
Catherine Dang, Class of 2015
Hometown: Corona, California
Concentration: Community Health
- Swearer Center Community Fellow for Algebra in Motion
- Brown Pre-Dental Society President
- Samuels Sinclair Dental Clinic Volunteer
- Triple Helix Writer
- PHP0320 Teaching Assistant
- Fall 2012 - Present: Investigate the histological structures of bat wing using a selective stain for elastic tissue. Brown University Department of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology.
- Summer 2013: Investigating the effects of xylitol, the most common artificial sweetener on dental de- and re-mineralization. University of California, Irvine Beckman Laser Institute.
- Summer 2014: Primary Care Involvement Concerns and Willingness of Rhode Island Dentists. Harvard School of Dental Medicine.
- Spring 2013 - Spring 2014: Access Scholar, an AmeriCorps position that works to accomplish the mission and goals of the National College Advising Corps to increase the number of low-income, first-generation college and underrepresented students who enter and complete high school.
My best friend was the first friend I made (on my first day of kindergarten) in my life.
Jordan Shaw, Class of 2015
Home Town: Grand Prairie, Texas
- Residential Peer Leader: Women's Peer Counselor (WPC)
- NEUR 0100 Teaching Assistant
- Class Coordinating Board Secretary
- 2013 Gala Co-Chair
- Senior Week Party Manager
- Hasbro Children's Hospital, Partial Hospitalization Program Volunteer
- Spring 2012 - Present: Body Dysmorphic Disorder Research, Rhode Island Hospital and Brown University department of Psychiatry and Human Behavior.
- Summer 2013: Theory of Mind Sampling during Joint Attention, Washington University in St. Louis School of Medicine department of Psychiatry
- Summer 2012: Neurogenetic Control of Lethargus in Caenorhabditis elegans, California Institute of Technology department of Biology
- 2009 - 2010: Effects of Exercise on Primary Cilia in Mouse Spinal Cord, University of North Texas department of Biology
- Jordan wants poetry recommendations.
Julia Donner, Class of 2015
Hometown: Gig Harbor, Washington
Concentration: Biology (Physiology/Biotechnology)
Brown University Emergency Medical Services
Student Conduct Board Member
Meiklejohn Peer Advisor
Project Sunshine Member
BIOL 0200 and BIOL 0800 Teaching Assistant
Women and Infants Hospital Volunteer
Community Health Advocacy Program
- Summer 2013: Effects of Rapamycin, Diet, and Mitotype Interactions on Aconitase Activity in Drosophila. Howard Hughes Medical Institute Scholarship. Brown University Department of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology.
- Fall 2013-Spring 2014: Characterizing the Physiological Effects of a Mitochondrial and NuclearIncompatibility in Drosophila. Brown University Department of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology.
- Summer 2014: Micropatterned 2D Co-cultures: An Investigation of Cardiac Myocyte and Fibroblast Cross-talk. American Heart Association Founders Affiliate Award. Cardiovascular Research Center, Rhode Island Hospital/Alpert Medical School.
- Fall 2014-present: Characterizing the Effects of Cigarette Smoke Extract on Mitochondria and Exploring possible therapeutic options in Drosophila. Brown University Department of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology.
- September 2014 - Present: Brown Primary Care Transformation Initiative. Adolescent Patient Centered Medical Home Intern. Warren Alpert Medical School of Brown University Department of Family Medicine.
- I love scuba diving.
Ronnie Li, Class of 2015
Hometown: Great Neck, NY
- Active Minds Website Designer
- Brown Brain Bee Member
- Dean of the College Group Tutor
- MEDLIFE Member
- Meiklejohn Peer Advisor
- NEUR0010 and BIOL0200 Teaching Assistant
- Rhode Island Hospital Research Intern
- Summer 2010: Decreased Density of NOS Interneurons in the Striatum of Individuals with Tourette Syndrome, Yale University Child Study Center.
- Summer 2012: Homocysteine and Alzheimer’s Disease: Is there a Connection?, UC Davis Medical Center.
- Summer 2013: Short-term Outcome of Intra-operative Breast Radiotherapy: A Single Institutional Experience, Weill Cornell Medical College.
- Fall 2014 – present: Optogenetic stimulation and striato-cortical connectivity in a mouse model of Parkinsonism, Rhode Island Hospital Department of Neurosurgery.
- In my free time, I write and record my own rap songs.
Julia Bu, Class of 2015
Hometown: Riverside, CA
New Scientist Program Peer Advising and Leadership Initiative Peer Mentor
Meiklejohn Peer Adviser
Miriam Hospital Patient Experience Representative
Summer 2013 - Present: Iron Metabolism in the Central Nervous System of the Hypotransferrinemic Mouse, Brown University Department of Pathology and Lab Medicine
Spring 2012: The Lung Age Project: Examining Patient and Physician Perceptions of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease, Memorial Hospital
Summer 2010: Urothermal Synthesis of Crystalline Porous Materials, University of California Riverside Department of Chemistry
The first time I went to Six Flags was with my Brown University research group.
David Deckey, Class of 2015
Hometown: Yuma, AZ
Concentration: Biology (Physiology/Biotechnology)
• Brown University Emergency Medical Services
• BIOL 0200, BIOL 0170/1120 Teaching Assistant
• Brown Daily Herald Head Photo Editor
• New Scientist Program Mentor
• Summer 2012: Modulating the activity of securin and its interaction with p53 in ACC. Helios Scholar Program. Translational Genomics.
• Summer 2014: The Characterization of Biofilm Formation on Spinal Implants of Varying Composition. Royce Fellowship. Diane Weiss Center for Orthopaedic Trauma at Rhode Island Hospital.
• Fall 2014-present: Characterizing the Antibacterial Effects of a PDMS Hybrid Coating Doped with Silver on Spinal Implants of Varying Composition. Diane Weiss Center for Orthopaedic Trauma at Rhode Island Hospital.
I love sushi.