- Apply for financial aid - Once you complete the FAFSA, the Office of Financial Aid or the Alpert Medical School Office of Financial Aid determine student eligibility for financial aid (including loans) and notifies students of their financial aid award.
- Review award package on Banner Self Service - It is important to make informed decisions and borrow wisely. Scholarships and grants do not need to be repaid. Students are not required to borrow the full amount of loans that have been offered. Understand the ways to pay for education expenses - grants, scholarships, installment payment plan, tuition prepayment plan, and loans. Federal loans offer borrower protections in the form of deferment and forbearance options.
- Accept award offers on Banner Self Service - Students are required to accept or decline the loans included in their award. Students can choose to accept the full amount offered, or accept a partial amount based on what is needed. Loans in offered status will not be processed or disbursed. Loans that remain in offered status will eventually be cancelled.
- Complete loan requirements - Incomplete requirements are displayed in Banner Self Service immediately after the loan is accepted. The Loan Office sends weekly reminder emails until all requirements are satisfied. Loan requirements generally include completion of entrance counseling and a promissory note. Some loan programs also include the completion of disclosure notices. All loan requirements may be completed online. Refer to the individual loan pages in this section for additional details.
- Need additional funds to cover expenses? Consider PLUS Loans or Private Loans. Contact Financial Aid to be certain you have exhausted all of your federal loan eligibility before considering other loans.
- Disbursement - Once loans have been accepted and all requirements have been completed, the loan funds will be disbursed (paid) to the student account on the date set for that semester. Loan funds may be disbursed no sooner than 10 days prior to the beginning of the term. If the loan disbursement results in a credit balance on the student account, students may request an electronic student account refund through the Bursar's Office.
- Keep track of borrowing each year - Get details of your federal loan borrowing on NSLDS. Get details of your institutional and federal loans on Banner Self Service.
- Complete Exit Counseling before leaving school - Exit Counseling is a mandatory requirement whether you are taking a leave of absence, withdrawing, graduating, or enrolling less than half-time.